Things to avoid while wearing orthodontic appliances
- No candy, gum, popcorn, raisins, licorice, jelly-beans, taffy or hard chocolate (O’Henry, etc.) bars.
(You can lick a candy, not crunch it).
- No suckingon or chewing bones (chicken, steak, ribs, of Chinese spare ribs).
- No peanuts or nuts of any kind.
- No hard chocolates. Only soft chocolates without nuts.
- No hard breads, crust, pizza crust, etc.
- Tear bagels and rolls into small pieces. Slice carrots, celery, radishes, etc. into small pieces. Slice apples, and any other hard fruit.
- No chewing ice, lick a popsickle.
- Be very careful with pits found in olives, cherries, peaches, plums, apricots, etc.
- Corn on the cob – kernel must be cut off the cob.
- Don’t bite your nails please. Do not play with your braces, leave your fingers out of your mouth.
- Do not push or put any foreign matter into your mouth eg. toys, erasers, pencils, jewellery, rings, etc.
- Do not bite hard cereals like Honey Comb, etc.
Basically, there is no hard food allowed without being cut into pieces nor sticky chewy foods.
Use your common sense
Think before you eat. If you are not sure of what you are allowed to eat, ask your parents or call the office. We will be glad to answer your questions.